Premature ejaculation is the continuous or repeated ejaculation with little sexual stimulation prior to or just after penetration and it happens against the person’s wishes.
It is a state where a man ejaculates regularly before him or his partner wants it to. This may be either prior to, or soon after having sex with his lover.
Effects of Premature Ejaculation
- The man does not get sated as he is unable to control the sensations of pleasure triggered by sexual contact for a long period. His partner is at the same time dissatisfied at being unable to get to her sexual climax.
- Men who suffer from PE often doubt their masculinity and their confidence in their sexual performance declines. They might feel no one understands and go through feelings of frustration and embarrassment.
- On the other hand, the partner might suffer silently as they are afraid of making their man more upset. They might also become frustrated if they conclude the partner is not willing to address the problem.
Psychological Factors Leading to Premature Ejaculation
Early Sexual Encounters
- Even though PE is a problem which is found in men of every age, younger men have higher chances of experiencing this disorder. This may be due to an established pattern of occurrences which took place in their first sexual encounters.
- Many of the first encounters of sex normally involve a mixture of anxiety and excitement; and also the pressure to perform fast so as not to be caught!
- In first experiences like these, wanting to perform correctly is normally the goal, instead of the enjoyable and erotic part of the experience. This leads to a lot of young men reaching climax too soon. If treatment does not occur, this problem carries on to adulthood.
Stress and Worry
Anxiety caused by the man’s sexual act or triggered by different issues can lead to premature ejaculation. When sex is connected to performance instead of enjoyment, it becomes difficult to attain control of ejaculation.
Fear of Erective Dysfunction
Men who go through erectile dysfunction can also experience PE as they might be worried about attaining an erection and maintaining it in the course of sexual intercourse, leading them to ejaculate fast. After a habit of hastening to ejaculate is established, this might make it hard to change it.
- Unusual levels of hormones.
- Inadequate concentration of serotonin which is a neurotransmitter.
- Irregular reflex function of the system for ejaculating.
- Specific thyroid issues.
- Swelling and infection of the urethra or prostrate.
- Traits which are inherited.
Treating Premature Ejaculation
- Behavioral therapy involves relaxing which assists to solve this problem. Some of these methods are:
- Squeeze Method – The man just withdraws from the woman then either of them squeezes the penis’ shaft between two fingers and thumb for around 20 seconds then stops and continues with sexual intercourse.
- Stop and begin technique – Men suffering from PE know when they are about to reach a climax and slow down so as to decrease stimulation and prolong the period until ejaculation.
- Avoiding sex – A couple may be advised to keep away from sex for some time to decrease worry. This helps as when they avoid intercourse they can concentrate on different types of sexual plays which get rid of stress from sexual acts. This assists the man to bond and re-establish a fulfilling physical bond with the woman.
- Regular Kegel Exercises – This makes men have stronger erections therefore assisting to get rid of erectile dysfunction.
- Counseling – This assists partners solve problems such as stress, worry and resentment which may be causing premature ejaculation.
- Medicine – These include some antidepressants or anesthetic creams